CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Another PB redo. Key Shadowbox

I have had my eye on this to hang in the vestibule, just as you walk in the front door.  We live in a 1920's bungalow and thought it would be the perfect piece of art.  I did not, however, like the price tag so I decided to make my own version. 

I purchased a 9x20 shadow box from Michaels for $10, vintage skeleton keys from an antique store for $10 and a 1/2 yard of duck cloth from Jo Ann fabrics.  I had the glue at home and used that to glue the keys to the duck cloth.  I also used a regular desk stapler to attach the fabric to the back of the shadow box.

After I unwrapped the frame, I wrapped the duck cloth around the back board of the shadow box.  I used a stapler and started in the middle of each side, making sure to pull the fabric tight. 


After stapling all around the board, I flipped the board over and placed the keys out in the pattern that I wanted. 

I started by gluing the first key in the middle and worked my way out so they would be spaced evenly.  After the glue was dry, I popped the back in and put the frame together and hung it in my hallway.  Our walls are plaster and are a pain to nail into so I used this.  So far so good. 


The entire project cost me around $20!  Now that is a much better price

2 comments:

Laura Anne said...

This is neat! Crafty girl you!!!

cherylc said...

I love it! I saw the one in pottery barn and wanted to try a to make one myself. Im glad I found your version, its amazing!

Post a Comment