CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Recycling Broken Crayons

Here's a great idea for all of those broken crayons.   

Wait....What?......Why do I have so many broken crayons?  Funny you should ask.  Liam goes though a box of crayons in about 2 weeks.  He presses so hard and doesn't hold them right, so they snap.  Good thing the dollar store sells washable crayons!  I started saving them so I could make swirly crayon eggs to put in Liam's Easter basket.  Here's what you need:

A disposable, foil muffin pan, cookie sheet, crayons and an oven.

Preheat the oven to 170 degrees.  Peel the crayons and break them up into 1/2 inch pieces.  You can group the crayons together by similar colors (ex: blues, reds) or just mix the colors. 

Put the foil pan on top of the cookie sheet (just in case a spill were to occur).  Fill the muffin cups no more than 1/2 way with crayon pieces.  Slide the pan into the oven for about 3-5 (mine took 4) minutes or until the crayons are melted. 
Take them out to cool.  You can pop them in the fridge if you want them to cool quicker. 

Here they are, ready for Liam's Easter basket.  I put some "grass" in a big plasig egg, which will go in his basket.  I hope I don't cave and give them to him sooner.

Lindsay

2 comments:

Amy said...

that is such a great idea! I am going to do that!

Anonymous said...

what a great idea! As a mom of a toddler, (and a 10 yr old) I have a box full of broken crayons! Now I know what to do with them! I hope you don't mind, but Posted this easy craft idea on my website, with credit to you and a link back here. The link to my site is http://fwahm.com/2011/04/make-your-own-crayons-easy-craft-idea/ if you'd like to check it out!

Thanks!
Janis Bennett
fwahm.com

Post a Comment