CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, March 13, 2011

No-sew Toddler pillow

Now that Liam is almost 2 (so hard to believe), I have been on the hunt for a toddler pillow.  I find that they are either too small, too thick or have an animal stuck to them.  They are all very cute but not very comfortable for Liam's little head and neck.  I decided to just make one, so off to Jo Ann Fabrics I went.  Of course, I also had several 40% off coupons!  I chose a pillow form that was the appropriate size (12x16in.).
It was $6.99 and 40% off so a grand total of $4.20.  The side zips which was handy because the pillow was a little too firm and fluffy so I unzipped it and removed about half of the poly-fil.  Then. just reshape the pillow so the fill is even and not lumpy.  Next, choose 2 coordinating fabrics in an anti-pill fleece.  You will need 1 yard of each color (there will be extra)  Liam's room is blue and brown argyle and stripe so here are the fabrics that I chose.

I washed the fabric first.  Next, you make a pillow case just like you would for one of those no-sew fleece blankets.  Since the pillow is 12x16, I wanted 3 inch strips all the way around the pillow, so I added 6 inches to the length and width.  Lay the fabrics on top of each other and measure 18x22 (use pins to mark a cut point).

Now, cutting through both pieces of fabric, cut out the 18x22 rectangle.  You don't have to use pinking shears.  I just like to.
Measure 3 inches up from the bottom of the fabric to determine the length of the strips.  You want all sides to be the same length.

Again, cutting through both pieces of fabric, cut the strips so that they are about 1 inch apart.  I did not measure, I just eyeballed it.
Do that around the entire pillow case.  Once you have finished cutting, you can tie the strips in a double knot.  With the fabric still one on top of the other, take the top strip and it's buddy underneath and tie in a double knot.  Do this around 3 sides of the pillow.  NOTE!  For the corners, you will take the top strip from the side and tie it with the bottom strip of the opposite color so they criss-cross.

Now, stuff the pillow form in the opening and finish tying.  Since this is the first time that you will be pulling the two pieces of fabric apart, make sure that you are properly lining up the strips to tie after you inset the pillow form.

And voila!  A perfect, soft toddler pillow.  Liam instantly snatched it from me, put it down on the floor and laid his head on it.

Lindsay





0 comments:

Post a Comment